lotus flower

Return to blog

The Advice I’m Dishing Out on Beauty

The Advice I’m Dishing Out on Beauty By Teisha Lowry-Cox, INDAH Out of everything that I harp on about, beauty is probably my favourite subject. While it’s my job to keep up wi...

The Advice I’m Dishing Out on Beauty

The Advice I’m Dishing Out on Beauty
By Teisha Lowry-Cox, INDAH

Out of everything that I harp on about, beauty is probably my favourite subject. While it’s my job to keep up with beauty trends in the media, new products and research, I can always rely on the good old-fashioned natural stuff, and I get so excited about talking and writing about it that I have written a book!

---

Teisha is presenting an upcoming Nourish Melbourne event workshop on Saturday 23 July. It will be a mix of learning about skin health from within and from the outside - a real functional approach to true skin health. Find out more here.

---

It’s been three years in the making and I’ve finally got the balls to put it together. I’m doing everything myself, it’s taking a long time, but I have an end date – it’ll be ready for my first event with Nourish Melbourne. The guts of it is about discovering ‘TRUE’ skin health, and when I say health – I dish out some awesome advice on beauty, the industry, ingredients, skin types, aromatherapy, real essential oils (not oils that are just full of crap) and some DIY recipes using your favourite kitchen ingredients; ohhhh the hidden gems I have in store… stay tuned. In the meantime, there’s always a why – and this is so important to me for you to know or remind you about…

The average woman uses up to 12 personal care products per day, and we’re covering ourselves in perfumes and deodorants every few hours sometimes. The skin is the body’s largest organ and its job is to protect our internal organs. It is porous and while the skin provides our bodies with a barrier, it is also absorbent and therefore it’s important to feed your skin with the right nutrients that are really pure, just like food. Would you eat substances containing lead, sodium lauryl sulphate or aluminium or even your perfume spray? If you apply these to your skin they can penetrate into the underlying tissue and will eventually reach the blood stream – which most conventional and gimmicky products do, and they can cause an adverse reaction or even do the opposite to what they say on the bottle. The fact that these toxins can be absorbed through the skin, I think, is a good reason to avoid these kinds of products.

The condition of your skin is a powerful reflection of just how healthy you are on the inside.

With ‘true’ organic brands you will find their ingredients are considerably fewer, and being organic means they should come from the ground, grown without using any pesticides or herbicides, and the quality should be unrefined and premium. That being said, unlike the food industry, the personal care industry hasn’t many legal standards for organic and natural companies, so this means they can use marketing buzz words such as ‘feel the organic difference’ or ‘100% organic’. Top selling organic and natural brands can get away with it, too, because they use organic and natural certifying bodies that only want at least 40 per cent of the ingredients to be certified organic or natural, so that leaves the other 60 per cent to be whatever they like, such as parabens and dioxanes, which are known and tested carcinogens. A lot of brands misuse their certified legacy, only getting one or two products in their range to be certified, then they whack that logo all over their packaging and marketing, when in fact the rest of the range ain’t much of an organic brand. So, it pays to read your labels and do your research.

A good rule I go by is this: don’t use anything that you wouldn’t eat. Expensive creams are not necessary and may do more harm than good. Instead, I use my Active Recovery Oil along with a good exfoliant mix of Himalayan salt and coconut oil a few times per week. I give myself mini facials to relax the facial muscles (which give us those expression lines) and some serious meditation every day – you’ll be surprised how young looking and stress free your skin will look. If you’re unsure about an ingredient, a great way to do your research is to Google it, or you can visit ewg.org for more information about ingredients and what they do to your skin and insides.

---------

Nourish Melbourne Members, you save 20% off INDAH products, making the INDAH way of skin care truly affordable! Find out more about INDAH as well as your redemption code (when logged in), here.