Oven Baked Salmon
Oven Baked Salmon with Walnuts, Mint and Pomegranate
By Sarah Jenkins, Lady Homemade
Serves 4 people
Gluten free, dairy free, Paleo
- 4 x 200g salmon fillets
- 2 cups walnuts
- 1 cup mint leaves, loosely packed
- 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp macadamia or olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 large pomegranate - seeds removed. Try this technique.
- Small handful of mint, finely shredded
- Pomegranate molasses, optional and not sugar free, not Paleo but bloody delicious and ok in moderation
- 2 small fennel, centre core removed and finely sliced
- 4 handfuls baby spinach, washed
- Drizzle of olive oil
1. Heat oven to 180 degrees C and remove your fish fillets from the fridge.
2. In a large fry pan, gently toast the walnuts until fragrant and slightly toasty. No need to go overboard on this as they will brown more in the oven.
3. Place the walnuts, mint, oil, juice and zest from the lemon in a small food processor or blender and pulse in crumbly. You don’t want a pesto, something with a little chunk is ok.
4. Lay the salmon fillets on a lined baking tray and spread the walnut and mint mixture on top and thoroughly season with salt and pepper.
5. Bake in the oven for approximately 15-20 minutes. I like my salmon more under so 15 minutes is ok with me.
6. Place shredded fennel and spinach in a salad bowl, season well and drizzle with olive oil.
7. In a small mixing bowl, combine the tahini, juice and zest from the lemon then gradually mix in the boiling water. Do this just before the salmon is ready as the tahini can sometimes thicken again after the water is added. You may need to add a dash more, depends on your tahini.
To Serve - place cooked salmon on individual plates or a platter. Drizzle each fish with the tahini and pomegranate molasses (if using). Sprinkle over pomegranate seeds and shredded mint and serve with the fennel salad.