Nanna’s Slow Cooked Beef Casserole
Nanna's Slow Cooked Beef Casserole
By Alice Nicholls, The Whole Daily
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 large brown onion, diced
- 2 garlic gloves, chopped finely
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 stalks of celery, diced
- 500 g of grass fed casserole steak OR chuck steak, chopped into chunks
- 1 x 450 g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 1 cup dry soup mix (around $2 from supermarket and is a mix of yellow/green split peas and barley)
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary or 2 tsp dry rosemary
- 1/2 tsp salt
- freshly cracked pepper
- 3 cups hot water
- 2 cups baby spinach
1. In a frypan over medium heat, fry the onion in the coconut oil until it becomes transparent. Add the carrot, garlic and celery and fry until they all soften (about 5 minutes).
2. Add this to a slow cooker or large heavy based saucepan over the lowest heat, along with all of the remaining ingredients (except for the spinach). Allow to slow cook for at least 6 hours.
3. Stir though spinach right before serving. Serve on a bed of sweet potato mash or cooked quinoa.